Tupelo Honey Playlist 9/21/10

Some of my favorite recordings this year are almost straight-ahead country. Caleb Klauder's Western Country and Yvette Landry's unbelievable debut Should Have Known make a wonderful testament as to what's wrong with mainstream Country today. If I had a Country station I'd be playing the crap out of both of these discs, and for that matter my favorite album of 2009 - Zoe Muth's self titled debut. Carrie Underwood and Kenny Chesney seem like perfectly nice people but are they making "Country" music? Why is it that Country music programmers find it so important to water down their output? I guess I can probably answer that... For some reason the general public seems to have a knee-jerk reaction to Country & Western. It's too bad because if they'd let the music seep in I think they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Next time I run across a Country-music-hater I'm going to make them come to my house drink beer all day and listen to Yvette Landry, over and over and over. I promise they'll walk away, albeit drunk, wanting to buy a 4WD and a nice pair of boots. YeeHaw!

Till Next Week
Ciao

Song - Artist - Album

5pm
Dog Wants In - John Brannen - Bravado
Please Speak Well Of Me - The Weepies - Be My Thrill
Midnight Rider - The Wood Brothers - Up Above My Head
Drive You to Drink - Mulehead - Alco-Fied
Jack - Yvette Landry - Should Have Known
Filipino DanceHall Girl - Ry Cooder - I, Flathead
Candy - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Mojo
Meigah - Utah Green - Fortune
Late Great Golden State - Mike Stinson - The Jukebox In Your Heart
These Days In An Open Book - Nanci Griffith - Flyer
Indiana - Tramps & Thieves - Mill Avenue Cowboys
Be The Boss - Mike + Ruthy - Million to One
I Got A Girlfriend - D.B. Rielly - Love Potions and Snake Oil
Old Soul - The Romany Rye - Highway 1, Looking Back Carefully

6pm
Everyday Is a Winding Road (Live) - Sheryl Crow - Sessions@AOL
Good Time To Holler - Bow Thayer and Perfect Trainwreck - Bottom Of The Sky
All Across America - Reverend Freakchild - God Shaped Hole
Inn Town - Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Getting Used to Uselessness - Jon Langford & Skull Orchard - Old Devils
Granddaddy - Patterson Hood - Murdering Oscar (And Other Love Songs)
Mighty River - Railroad Earth - Elko
Pardon Me (I've Got Someone to Kill) - Lonesome Bob - The Executioner's Last Songs, Vol 1
My Best Guess - Ryan Montbleau Band - Heavy On The Vine
Until You Came Along '97 - Golden Smog - Stay Golden, Smog: The Best Of Golden Smog
Going Back to Austin - Green Corn Revival - Say You're a Sinner

2 comments:

Meera said...

I can't wait for tomorrow's show!!!

Meera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.